Have some fun with this list of how to speak Philadelphian or should I say "Fluffyan?"
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Ack A Me - Major supermarket chain.
- Arthur-itis - Major joint disease.
- Begll - The Jewish bread usually eaten at breakfast.
- Daddy - What dads call their kids.
- Downashore - Where people go for a summer vacation.
- Fluffya, Fill Uff Ya - Two other ways to pronounce our city.
- Iggles - The football team that plays in South Philadelphia.
- Mayan and Urine - Mine and yours.
- Mommy - What mothers call their kids.
- School Kill - The name of a river and a highway.
- Segal - The bird that flies around down at the shore.
- Thirsty - The day before Friday.
- Widges - With you.
- Wooder - H2o.
- Wooder Eyes - Italian Ice/Shaved Ice.
- If you learn these sixteen phrases you will have a good grasp on how Philadelphians speak.
- A Philadelphia accent is much easier to understand than a New York City accent.
- People from the Main Line don't sound anything like this.