Where would we be without our mama’s? Nowhere! That’s where. Mother’s Day is quickly approaching. This holiday is often met with anxiety rather than anticipation. The pressure is on to find ways to show your mom just how much she is appreciated. Families head out in droves to overcrowded brunch spots. Here are some creative ideas to make you’re momma feel special and have fun doing it on Sunday May 13th.
For the wino/yoga enthusiast:
·Penn Woods Winery: This family-owned winery is a short drive from center city. “The aging of wine is a noble process that can serve as a metaphor for healthy aging of a human being.” At their mother’s day event, Wine, Body and Soul, you and you mother participate in a gentle yoga class followed by a tasting of wine paired with local cheeses and chocolate.
For the garden-loving gal:
For the thrill-seeking kid at heart:
·Morey’s Piers: Get an early does of the Jersey Shore on Wildwood’s boardwalk. Moms ride free this mother’s day. Buy the lady some funnel cake and take a hilarious Olde Time Photo.
For the art lover:
For the survivor:
· Race For the Cure: This 5K walk/run is major fundraiser for Breast Cancer Research. We all have someone in our lives who’s been touched by this disease. The event begins at the art museum at 7am.
For the arts and crafts fanatic:
· The Clay Studio: This ceramics center in Olde City if offering mother’s day brunch, mimosas and pottery! First enjoy a catered meal complete with champagne cocktail, then move to the potter’s wheel for an instructional workshop where you’ll make a clay creation.
For the history buff:
· Betsy Ross House: Betsy Ross was herself seven times a mother and the creator of the first American flag. Her house is one the most visited historical sites in Philadelphia. Enjoy Mother’s Day Tea with delicious snacks as “Betsy Ross” tells her tale.
· National Constitution Center: Guest attending the Mother’s day Brunch will enjoy a view of Independence mall, and mothers will get special gifts.
For the science geek:
·The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is offering free admission to all mom’s on mother’s day. Celebrate women’s contributions in the natural sciences, view rare treasures created by women, meet their scientist and make a gift for mom.
For the lady with expensive taste:
Well, fancy brunch, obviously. Here are a few swanky brunch suggestions where you can toast ma dukes with a glass of fine champagne. Reservations recommended!
· La Croix: 210 West Rittenhouse Square, 215.546. 9000. Enjoy a super luxe breakfast buffet.
· The Spirit of Philadelphia: 401 South Columbus Blvd, 1.866.455.3866, Sail away with mom on the Spirit of Philadelphia with a special day full of entertainment, dancing and special brunch buffet.
· Davio’s: 111 South 17th Street, 215.563.4810. This Northern Italian restaurant is the definition of elegance. The $55 pre-fix menu includes decadent dishes like Maine lobster bisque and a complimentary glass of prosecco.
· The Palm: 200 South Broad Street, 215.546.7256. The luxurious Steak House creates a special menu just for mom.
· Top of the Tower: Three Logan Square, 215.567.8787. For mom’s who like stunning panoramic views, Top of the Tower, which is usually closed for special events, is opening it’s door for a seriously elaborate brunch buffet. She’ll feel on top of the world.