The Philadelphia Flower Show opens on Sunday March 4 and runs through Sunday, March 11, 2007 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia, PA.
The Philadelphia Flower Show is the oldest flower and garden show in the United States and the largest indoor flower and garden show in the world attracting more than 250,000 visitors annually from across the country and the world.
The Show is produced by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. Founded in 1827, the PHS is the nation's oldest and foremost organization of its kind.
The theme of this year's Show is "Legends of Ireland." Journey to the legendary land of Tir-Na -nOg, where the leaves are always green and the flowers bloom year-round. An enchanted castle, Irish Woodland, mystical knot garden and mythical creatures celebrate an eternal land of Celtic Legends. Irish art, fables, forests and gardens all pulse with fragrance and color in this magic land of Erin.
Central FeatureThe show's central feature exhibits interpret the 2007 theme.
- A "living" archway fragrant with flowers, ferns and artfully woven tree limbs will welcome visitors to the Ealain Wood, where mythical creatures will roam under giant trees to the ethereal sounds of flutes and harps.
- As the Irish mist lifts from the Wood edge, visitors will behold a magnificent courtyard. The Knot Garden composed of crystals and flowers, will shimmer in the light and be flanked by two 40-foot waterways with spiral fountains and artistic Celtic banners.
- The formal setting will provide a grand stage for the Castle of the Emerald Kingdom. This massive estate features a tiered garden, turrets, towers and ancient stone work. Its interior will serve as a stage for performances of traditional Irish music, step-dancing, singing and stories throughout Show week.
It's Your Garden
For the indoor gardener, the Show offers more than 3,000 examples of plants, collections, designs and flower arrangements in its Competitive Class division. Amateurs from throughout the world enter their creations into a competition that is judged throughout Show week.
Judging & AwardsMore than 200 selected judges come from across the nation to take part in the competition. The first judging, including major exhibits, will be held Saturday, March 3, with judging for amateur entries continuing throughout the week. Grand Sweepstakes Awards will be announced on Saturday, March 10.
Special Attractions at the Show
- The Lecture Series - Free hourly Lectures & Demonstrations offer visitors a daily variety of topics on basic gardening and arranging. Free to Show visitors.
- The Gardener's Studio - Presented by Subaru of America, Inc. Up close and personal gardening information offered throughout the day on the Show floor, by regional experts. Free to Show visitors.
- Garden Tea - A light afternoon tea, served in a beautifully appointed tearoom. It is suggested that visitors or groups should reserve Tea in advance by calling 215-988-8879. The Garden Tea will be offered twice daily, March 4-11, 12:30 - 2 pm
and 3:45 - 5:15 pm. Ticket prices are $26 each. Reservations can be made online at www.theflowershow.com.
- DailyPresentations of Culinary Artistry - Hosted by The Art Institute of Philadelphia Culinary School, celebrity chefs and designers will offer decorating and preparation tips from garden to table. At the Show, see the Daily Schedule for
time, location and speakers. Free to Show visitors.
- The "Hive" Lounge located on Grand Hall Concourse will feature evening music, cash bar and food sampling from local restaurants starting at 5 p.m. Hive admission is free for Show visitors.
The MarketplaceNo visit to the Flower Show would be complete without stopping in the Marketplace. With its huge collection of top quality vendors, the Marketplace will provide the perfect opportunity to get the garden started.
Tools, sculpture, plants, art work, bonsai, orchids, and cut flowers are just a few of the items that will be offered. Irish crafts, sweaters and glassware will be featured throughout the Marketplace with special pieces available at the Flower Show Shoppe, the official store of the Flower Show.
- Sundays, March 4 & March 11 - 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 5 - Friday, March 9 - 10:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 10 - 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Admission/Fees at Box Office
- Adults: Opening Sunday - $28
- Adults: Saturday and Sunday, (March 10 & 11) - $26
- Adults: Monday - Friday, (March 5 - 9) - $24
- Children ages 2 - 12 (any day) - $13
- New Offer: Family Fun Pack - $55 for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 and includes PHS membership
Admission/Fees in Advance (good any day)
- Adults - $22
- Group Tickets: 20 or more - $21.50
- Children: ages 2 - 12 - $12
The Philadelphia Flower Show maintains an www.theflowershow.com full of valuable information.
Once again, I will be attending this year's Show and will be adding a gallery of photos for those of you who are unable to attend. If, however, you can get a chance to see the Show live, it is well worth the trip.
2007 Philadelphia Flower Show Photos
Check back throughout the week for more photos.